Sunday, January 8, 2012

Week of January 2 to January 8

SUNDAY

An aborted run by Hudson - it was 14F at the trailhead

Went to Chautauqua and ran over to Gregory Canyon and up Amphitheater to Green Mountain summit. With 2"-3" of new snow it was a smooth run up. After lounging and chatting for several minutes headed down Green-Bear (below) to Bear Canyon where I did slip on ice and landed on my ass. Then it was north on Mesa back to the car and 12 minutes later I was eating deep dish pizza. 8.1 miles with 2,750' in 2:29:18



Week ending Sunday January 8
Hudson 12.7 miles
Chris 41.9 miles with 8,087'



SATURDAY

Dry Creek trail early with Hudson. 2.1 miles in 15:41. We did a shorter walk after so Hudson could play with some buddies

Went to the local "old school" track in the afternoon for some interval training. I've done interval training once - and blew my right hamstring. I avoided slipping on goose poo and alternated slow jog / walk for 1/4 mile with fast run 1/4 mile. My fast 1/4 miles were 1:46, 1:42, 1:30 and 1:31




FRIDAY

Dry Creek trail with Hudson. 2.1 miles

Double summit run in afternoon. Parked on Flagstaff and ran Green Mountain West to Green Bear to the steep Bear Peak West Ridge to Bear Peak. After a few icy boulders I decided to fall 30 yards short of the actual summit (over my left shoulder)



Stopped at the summit of Green Mountain on the run back. 8 miles and 2,530' - in 2:56:15. I did put on or took off my microspikes maybe 10 times as needed and chatted with the two people I saw - but I got my ass kicked today. Bear Peak to me is the Boston Bruins to the Vancouver Canucks


THURSDAY

Dry Creek trail with Hudson early am. 2.1 miles in 18:12

Hogback Ridge in afternoon with some new trails for me. 4.4 miles and 900'

It was 63 and sunny. Too warm for mountain lions




WEDNESDAY

Day off

I read other runner's blogs. Some are witty (http://www.pittbrownie.blogspot.com/) and some have good real time info on local trails since so many live in Boulder. Obviously all are self indulgent to an extent. How can they not be?

Speaking of self indulgent, here is a pic from the Rescue Run Sunday - Pike's Peak is in the background. I had 2 women comment positively on my Vancouver Canucks sweatshirt




TUESDAY

Dry Creek trail with Hudson early am. 2.1 miles in 20:17 - brisk considering the first 0.1 miles took over 3 minutes

Teller Farms in afternoon. 4.1 miles. Lazy jog mostly to get out of the "office" although a quicker pace at the end - until the cows. This trail is through Open Space used for grazing. Two women with their little dog were stopped on the trail as a huge cow was not moving. I led the way safely by and saved the day


MONDAY

Went with Hudson at sunrise to Green Mountain West off Flagstaff but his paws didn't like the icy snow crystals. So we went to Gregory Canyon trailhead and he was happy. No summit as it was very icy but we goofed around for 45 minutes, maybe 2.5 miles and 550'



Later in the day I enjoyed my last day of vacation by running Mount Sanitas. It was crowded. Did the summit in 24:07. 2.3 miles and 1,357'